October half term at Polmanter
21st October 2020
October half term is only days away! To ensure it’s filled with unforgettable memories, we recommend taking some time ahead of your trip to think about what you’d like to do and start to plan.
Planning is key as Cornwall, like the rest of the country, has had to change the way they do things to keep everyone safe. St Ives itself has produced a leaflet to explain how the town has adapted to Coronavirus. Most of our favourite local businesses are open as usual, but with the restrictions in place that we’re all familiar with now – including the need to make advance bookings in most restaurants and pubs. The same goes for visitor attractions. Many require advance pre-bookings, so again we would advise planning ahead.
With that in mind, here are some ideas to help you kick off planning your Cornish getaway….
What’s On at Polmanter
The Stable Bar and Restaurant
The Stable Bar is open for dining in and takeaway, offering a socially distanced welcome to all our guests.
- Open daily from 5pm on Friday 23rd October to Friday 30th October, with the evening menu served 5-9pm
- Sunday 25th October open from 12pm, with Sunday Lunch served from 12-4pm, followed by the evening menu 5-9pm
- Last orders for drinks at 9.15pm to close at 9.30pm
- Book ahead to avoid disappointment: we are taking bookings now via Reception (01736 795640)
- Please arrive wearing your face covering, it can removed once you are seated
- On arrival, you’ll be required to to sign in using the NHS Test and Trace app using our location QR code. If you don’t have a smartphone, we can sign you in manually
- Tables have been reduced in numbers and spaced at least 2 metres apart
- Bookings accepted of up to 6 people, with a 90 minute maximum length of stay
- You can order and pay online for a takeaway, up to 24 hours prior to collection
- Pick an allocated time to collect from The Stable Bar, and enjoy delicious, home cooked food from the comfort of your pitch or holiday home!
We’re embracing Halloween this year and encourage you to do the same!
Pumpkin picking and decorating
- Our local Farm Shop Stall (TR27 6HL), which you’ll find on the side of the B3311 road, on the way to Polmanter, is offering the chance to pick your own pumpkins on Saturday 24th October
- Trevaskis Farm in Connor Downs, Hayle, offer pumpkin picking on a daily basis, and have a restaurant and amazing Farm shop packed with local produce
- We’re also close to Co-op (St Ives), Tesco (Carbis Bay) and Asda (Hayle) for a quick supermarket dash
- Or bring your own from home!
- Carve or decorate your pumpkins and display them on your pitch
- If you’d like your pumpkin to be judged for the chance to win a prize, take a picture of your pumpkin, and share it on our Facebook page or Instagram, tag us and use the hashtag #polmanterpumpkins
- We’ll share our favourite photos on our Facebook page on Halloween, and contact our 3 winners directly to arrange collection / delivery of their prize
- Keep an eye out across the site for our own pumpkins too, carved and decorated by the Polmanter team!
- We’ll provide a Halloween Hunt map for each child at check-in
- Follow the clues across the site, and unscramble the letters you find, to reveal a fang-tastic Halloween character
- Once you’ve discovered the word, make your way to Reception to swap your completed sheet for a free Halloween Treat!
What’s On in St Ives and nearby
The BIG Book Week
Not one to miss if your children love books!
- Stories By The Sea children’s bookshop at Tregenna Place in St Ives hosts a week filled with big books and bookish craft activities
- Families (or bubbles) can book a table (4 seats) to join in the bookish craft/art activity linked to the BIG book of the day
- Activities are suitable for children aged 4-11yrs old with sessions lasting around 40 minutes
- For more information, visit their Facebook event
For the arty adults of the family.
- Draw St Ives, an outdoor drawing experience on Tues/Wed/Thurs & Sat from 10.30am-12pm
- Beach crafts and resin jewellery and charms workshops available in the afternoons from 2-4pm
- All classes are subject to numbers and therefore require advance bookings
- Visit their website to learn more about the workshops and events Barnoon offer
A live escape room game experience.
- Choose from one of two escape rooms to enter: Prison X or The Chocolate Factory
- 60 minutes on the clock to find the clues and solve the puzzles
- Open 7 days a week , from 10am – 9.30pm. Advance bookings required
- Visit their website to find out more about the rooms and how to book
Halloween at Paradise Park
There’s plenty going on at Paradise Park in Hayle this half-term.
- Pumpkin trail
- Otter and penguin feeding
- JungleBarn play centre open for the little ones to burn off their energy
- Halloween Disco on Friday 30th October, between 3-6pm
- Visit their website for more information and pre-booking
HallowEden trails and ice skating
The team at the Eden project are offering a magical and mysterious journey around the site this October half-term, with a ‘spooky but safe Halloween experience’ for all the family.
- Listen to weird and wonderful legends, full of magical spirits, in a new family-friendly Halloween story audio trail.
- Meet some bewitching birds of the night from the Screech Owl Sanctuary
- Discover the folklore behind the ‘boo’-tiful plants that line the pathways of the gardens and Biomes, as you follow a special spooky plant trail
- Enjoy a spine-chilling spin on their magical ice-rink*, before treating yourself to a weird and wonderful foodie treat. *Additional charge applies. Advance online booking advised
Rogue Theatre’s Halloween ‘Dead of Night DisDance’
Snap up the last few tickets for the fantastic Rogue Theatre’s immersive theatre adventure, celebrating Halloween in the heart of Tehidy Woods.
Some of our previous blogs might be helpful for ideas on things to do, places to see and where to eat:
- Cornish attractions close to Polmanter
- Cornish attractions a bit further afield
- Eating Out in St Ives in 2020
We hope this whets your appetite and gives you a taster of what you can get up to during your October half-term holiday.